Element Games - Wargaming Webstore

Sunday 27 March 2022

Hobby Butterfly


 OK I admit it I AM A HOBBY BUTTERFLY......

and I have come to realise not in a good way. Hopefully by getting my thoughts down on electronic paper I will come a place of inner peace and some more focus on my hobby choices. 

Like many of us I have the plastic pile of shame however in the last 2 years rather than seeing models being painted and taking pride in a model finished. I seem to have the hobby of buying the latest new release, building it and then it either sitting in a box or on a shelf.  I tried to rationalise this with it was a lake of gaming, Games Workshop bringing out so many great new releases, my hobby room is a mess.

The above are true, but some of the other unwritten truths are, fear of missing out, greed, shopaholicism. 

Over the last few weeks I have come to rationalise my Hobby and what it is.

So what is my Hobby?

Writing and Roleplaying - This has been a large part of my life ever since I was introduced to D&D when I started school. Over lockdown I was very very lucky to find an online group of roleplayers and we have been meeting weekly ever since playing Call of Cthulhu, Aliens, Inquisitor and a series of One shot adventures based on our pulp films of the 80s and 90s. This is something I have never Blogged about, but will start 

1. Painting -  Ironic Huh considering my lack of completed models of late. But I do enjoy the process and seeing a completed model.

2. Building - I know some people see this as a chore, but I do love a good build, especially love looking at the techniques that the sculptors are using to get the level of detail on the models.

3. Reading / Audio books - I have always loved reading sci-fi and fantasy and I have to thank my Dad for his library of classic sci- fi from Asimov to Heinlein. So I was always going to be drawn to the sheer depth that GW and now Black Library

4. Gaming - Kinda at the bottom of the list and this mainly as I have not gamed in over 2 years. My last game was up at Warhammer World when I took part in an Aeronautica Tournament.

So next steps for me is to look through the pile of plastic shame and rationalise what I want to keep and focus on.


No comments:

Post a Comment